.post-body img { max-width:600px; max-height:auto; }

Monday, July 20, 2015

Event coverage: Scroungers Day Garage Sale

Shenton Park's ParaQuad building was overflowing when I dropped in on Sunday morning. I was determined to face the crowds and find a few bargains at the July Scroungers Day Garage Sale, which I posted about a little over a week ago. To say the event was big would almost be an understatement! With my mother in tow, we joined the seemingly endless queue, curling its way around the industrial building, took a deep breath, and we were in!

There were literally thousands of items for sale in the main area, set up on beautifully ordered tables, each with their own area sign. For the discerning, not to mention early attendee, bargains were aplenty. The event was a collector's paradise under one roof - everything from bottles, jugs, tools, games, bags and buttons to ornamentals, cameras, dolls, pottery and glass.

I think even Imelda Marcos would have reeled seeing the enormity of the shoe rack on Sunday. Were it not for my enormous feet, erm, my hard-to-find demands for size 9 (40) shoes and dislike of stiletto heels, I would have done a lot better out of this part of the sale! Nonetheless, I did take home a cute (and new) pair of brown tie-up flats, which I'll post a photo of later. 






One of the best organised departments had to be the Book Bazaar, adjoining the main hall. Every book held its rightful place in the building, organised alphabetically by author surname, by genre and topic. This really appealed to my love of order and literature. I had the most fun browsing the books that they hadn't been able to categorise. Some of my favourite titles ranged from The Upside of Undertaking, Teach Yourself - Collecting and French First Names :D


Those four books (above) were what I ended up taking home from a section that could have been titled 'Very-very-very-old-books'. A few highlights from The Young Man's Companion or Friendly Adviser to Educational Knowledge, Worldly Council and Gentlemanly Deportment - based on works compiled in 1866: 

"To excel in conversation: Never talk much unless solicited to do so. Suit your conversation to company and occasion. Do not be over fond of telling stories. Do not look at the ceiling, look out a window, play with a dog, or handle a book. Nothing discovers a little, futile, frivolous mind more than this and nothing is so offensively ill-bred."

aaaaaand...

"Before going to a ball or party, it is not sufficient that you consult your mirror twenty times. You must be personally inspected by your servant or a friend. From want of this precaution, I once saw a gentleman enter a ballroom, attired with scrupulous elegance, but with one of his suspenders curling in graceful festoons about his feet. His glass could not show what was behind."

I love finding these old books, graced with small insights into the opinions and mannerisms of years gone by. You may well be thrown a few of these in coming weeks as I get a chuckle out of the rest of this book :)

Want something to do next weekend? Check out the Golden West Collectors Fair, running across Saturday and Sunday, July 25 and 26.
What has been your favourite find at an event like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment