.post-body img { max-width:600px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Thrifted find: Genuine leather Avelar vintage bag



I fell head-over-heels for this bag at the Salvos last week. It had been sitting on a shelf behind the counter on my first visit, but a phone call had forced me to leave earlier than I planned. What luck to find it on the bag rack only a few days later! (And for only $25!) 

This is a wonderful, genuine leather handbag made by Avelar in Guadalajara. The bag's interior is roomy and comes with three separated pouches, plus a pocket that comfortably fits my phone. The outside is made with a beautiful tooled leather in an abstract flower pattern.

It's clear some fine Mexican artisan craftsmanship is behind this bag. It's made in a beautiful refined shape and sits well and has been lined with a soft suede. On the whole, a very practical and beautiful vintage bag - I'm a firm believer that good design never goes out of style! 

I've done a bit of Googling since, and I get the impression these bags were doing the rounds sometime in the 1970s - a few different designs are doing the rounds on the internet today and they're valued between $100-350! That being said, I think I was very lucky to find this one - this bag has little-to-no wear on the outer edges and the inside is in great condition. I think it has kept its beautiful vintage charm and will likely last me for many years to come <3

The look: 
Avelar leather bag - $25 (Salvos - Greenwood)




If you know anything else about these bags, I'd love to know! What was your favourite bag find at a secondhand store?

No comments:

Post a Comment